Skip to main content

In a hot land far away…

Dear Blog

I'm sorry for the neglect, I am waiting for my new life in a hot land far away to settle into some sort of regular pattern... and maybe to feel cool with it!


I'm not sure what my 'normal' life here in Thailand will be. Slowly each day things are starting to seem a little more familiar. I hardly notice the wires in the street, the uneven pavements, the strange smells wafting in. 



I am beginning to feel less like all is foreign and I'm less like a foreigner. Slowly I'm feeling like I belong. I am getting more adventurous, I have yet to make it in the back of a motorbike taxi, but the weird and wonderful street food is starting to be more tempting!


Of course, the Lifers can spot the newbie in town by my huge bag. I never leave home without being properly kitted out. I take my Japanese paper fan, plus my electric fan, a lady can never have enough fans in these sweaty Betty conditions. Together with a face cloth to dab my glowing brow, water to rehydrate, an umbrella for rain, but mostly for shade... I plan my days to avoid the heat.

For such is my new life, in 95% humidity where the sun has it's way all the long day. 


I am starting to make some lovely friends. We chatter and we laugh as if we've known each other for years. We have not yet run out of conversation, for the most part, we are catching up on fifty years plus of each other's lives. 


Now, where would you start? If you knew no-one and no-one knew anything about you? What would be the most important things you would mention? I smile at how many times one of the first things I talk about is the Crazy Poodle! I miss that chappy!


The ladies here have interesting stories to tell. Especially those who have been here twenty, thirty years. Back in their day, this would have been an adventurous posting. I enjoy hearing all about their lives, how they ended up being in Asia. I love that here, even after all these years, they are open to talking, their dance card is not yet completely full.

Add caption
I love all the nationalities that I am meeting. After twenty-five years out of the UK, I am slowly finding my tribe of others with British or Aussie roots with a lifetime of experiences in other countries. There are newer people than me arriving. Bangkok is an ever changing landscape.  

Meanwhile up in the sky, the moon watches quietly as the sun burns, hoping soon to get his turn.

Sometimes at the end of the week, we take ourselves off to a rooftop bar. As we watch the sun going down in our new city, we grin. So far, so good but bring on the days when the moon has her turn.


Watch out world!



This post has been inspired by Amalia Rosen who blogs at Handmade by Amalia and wrote a post 'In a cold land far away, where all the birds are sad and gray' and has kindly adapted the post for a little hot bird!!! These are her words:

In a hot land far away
the sun has its way all the long day,
the moon watches quietly as the sun burns
hoping soon to get his turn.

Thank you so much Amalia!

Linking with thanks to all the hosts at Our World Tuesday
and Maggie at Mosaic Monday

SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat